Monday 27 October 2014

The Voice


Today is exactly that type of day that I don’t feel like doing anything. I don’t feel like writing, I don’t feel like singing and I don’t even feel like thinking. I have been exhausted from the event of yesterday and I just want to sit in the office and loiter around the internet, feeding my brain with all the information I can get my hands and eyes on. I am currently playing gospel mix from YouTube and I feel some kind of presence following me, deep inside of me that I can’t explain.


Let me break it down for you. I got an invite from a good friend to come minister in his church last night and I honoured it as fast as I could. I drove down to the venue, myself and my good friend Adeoye Abiona and as we drove in, the church was empty. I was almost inclined to drive back but for the still voice in me that told me this meeting was important more than I can ever imagine.

So we went in, ushered into the front seat, where I always sat uncomfortably anytime I visit. After 10 minutes, Honourable Seye Akintunde, the young man who invited us handed the microphone to me after some worship. So I picked up the mic, spoke into it and encouraged the people why they should praise their maker. Little did I know what was in store for me? After some rounds of slow songs, I gradually began to feel some kind of elevation in my spirit. I sang; “Because you be God, you no be man o, I go de praise your name” and then I sang “Olorun, to da awon oke igbani”, simple and normal songs but it carried so much power that I began to hear God speak clearly.

Sincerely, I have never heard anything so clear in my ears despite the cacophony of musical and vocal sounds that surrounded the avenue. So I heard revelations for people worshipping God and lifting up hands in His presence. I quickly shut myself out of my head and continued worshipping. When I got to the fast praise, I was already ordered to sing songs I wasn’t comfortable about but by the time I started, I saw a new dimension I have never witnessed.

People gave their all in the worship of their maker and the voice came even louder to me this time; ‘Tell my people that their pain and sorrow has come to an end’, ‘Tell the woman expecting a baby that she has already gotten it’ and so many more revelations that got me scared. I just couldn’t comprehend why the voice keep coming back. I am not a prophet, I am but a singer that just want to praise my God and drop the mic and move on.

“The Voice” got so loud I had to ask the musicians to bring down the volume so that I can relate the message to God’s people. I was surprised as to the reception I got after that. I saw a woman so elated that her dance step changed immediately. And then after the second message, a woman looked back to her neighbor and gave a signal that could only mean ‘confirmation’. I was really surprised myself. I have sold out to God since last year and promised to praise Him but the new dimension is baffling even me.

And after my section, I laid there on the floor worshipping and the voice came again; “I have released your blessing but you need to do two things to get it”. Speak Lord, your servant listens, I responded.
“You need to stop collecting money for your services in the church and you need to go and apologise to your former pastor”. I was stunned! Yeah, I know it sounds awkward but as a musician some of us still get paid in church. We offer our service to God but because of economic situations, we still get monetary assistance and I am even ashamed to say it.

‘I drove straight to my pastor’s house, myself and Adeoye and we prostrated in front of him apologizing for what I did exactly a year ago. The crime? Asking for increment for all musicians in the church; when our request wasn’t granted, we all ganged up and left. At hindsight, I can say that was prodigious, anti Christ like and ungodly. Would I do it again? Maybe I would but certainly not under such circumstances and not in that way. After apologizing, Pastor George Unogu, the teacher and father that he is, spoke glowingly about how I can start this new journey and not allow any challenges to drag me back or away.

I gained so much from his admonition and realised how much I have missed him and his teachings.

So I drove home and despite sleeping early, here I am feeling so tired and exhausted but satisfied and fulfilled. I am burning with some kind of fire inside that wants to showcase God to my immediate environment. I am a changed man, I am a renewed breed. I am coming forth to show God’s glory on the face of the earth but right now; I am exhausted!

No comments:

Post a Comment