Monday 23 June 2014

I AM A LIVING CORPSE; PLEASE LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES


I sat at the veranda and gazed into the mornings with no zest for life. I am the shadow of my former self and I am just writing this to advice younger girls out there who think that life is always on a fast lane.

My name is Folasade Arifashela (and I have insisted that MAB put my real names for publication) and as I write this hoping that it will be published, it might not be until I have breathe my last breath on mother earth. I am living with some kind of disease that has shattered conventional medical wisdom. The doctors have said they don’t know what is wrong with me yet I grow thinner as the day goes by. I have caused my family lot of pain, sorrow and regrets and they have spent savings just to see if they can get me some form of help.

I am the typical aja to ba ma sonu, ko ni gbo ife’e olode (the hunter dog on a mission to get lost will not heed to its masters whistling to retrieve). I lived my life with reckless abandon while I was in the polytechnics. I wanted to wear the best cloths, go to the best parties and attend the best clubs. I wanted to hang out with the happening guys and chics in campus and we drove to any campus that was raving with events and happenings.

I come from a humble background but despite all the pleadings from my folks and aged mother (because my father abandoned me when I was just 7 years of age) to stop the life style I was living, I thought they were the antagonist to my pleasures. I saw them as dejectedly poor siblings who envied my progress in life and the more they warned me, the more I dared! I switched from just hanging out with the happening peeps on campus to Aristo babe since I needed to sustain my lifestyle and that is where my problems emanated from. I started seeing many men who drove into our campus looking for cheap babes to sleep with for the night. I call them cheap, myself inclusive because I have been-that-done-that and it now is all vanity.

I see girls drive cars on campus whose parents I know are also not rich and that is the type of life I wanted for myself. I quickly gathered enough controversies on campus as I snatched my friend’s lovers and I was not ready to stop until I get super rich. I did it for a while and I began to grow in rank. At a point I could afford a car but somehow I just felt owning a car was no more my target but travelling out of the country to settle down. The guy I gave over 900 thousand naira to help with USA visa and green card swindled me and I was back to square one.

I didn’t really feel the pain because I was confident that I could make that money in less than 2 months if I work even harder so I let it go. But that was just the smallest of the problems coming my way.

Few weeks after, I was in a party when I saw one of the guys from my campus hanging out with one very cute Alhaji in the party. I quickly devised a means to get that Alhaji from her so that I can have him to myself. So I picked my phone, called her and told her some kind of story just to get her off the Alhaji. As soon as she leaves, I quickly approached Alhaji and lied to him that the girl he’s chatting with has HIV and I advised him that I can be of a better service to him if he doesn’t mind. I dropped my phone number and quickly left his table before my friend returned.

I watched as he dismissed her and gave me a call from his car to meet him in his hotel room. I was the 007 James Bond of the campus and I was really happy at how smart I had become. I, the daughter of a petty trader and a useless father, is in control of my destiny; using what I have to get what I want. I went in and the Alhaji just smiled, joked a little with me and we went straight to business. The sex was short and tasteless but who wants romance when money is involved? He has offered me #200, 000 (two hundred thousand naira) for just the night. WOW! That was unbelievable! And he gave me the money before I removed my cloths.

However, after the sex, I noticed that I instantly fell asleep for a short period and as I woke up, he was already dressed and ready to go. I quickly checked the money where I kept it and it was still intact. He dashed out of the room and the number he gave me didn't ring again for life. I left the room still drowsy but I got home in one piece and slept again for a long period of time. When I woke up again, I found myself in the hospital. They said I was forming from my mouth and was breathing really heavily before the incidence.

I am now in the hospital for 8 months and the doctors are simply keeping me so that when I die, they can use my body for inquisition into the unanswered medical questions (I once overheard one of the nurses saying it while she thought I was asleep). I am really sorry for making my mother go through all she has for me. If I was her, and she was me, I wouldn't do half of what she has done for me, for her. But I guess motherly instincts and all which I never connected with while I thought I was enjoying my life.

Someone told my mom that I was used for ritual purpose and that the mallam/Alhaji took my ori (destiny) to enrich his and that I am just a living corpse waiting for my time to go. That once I am gone, the man will go and look for another girl he can use to keep renewing his wealth.


How that is possible I don’t know but here I am, sitting in the veranda of the teaching hospital where I have been admitted. I normally come outside every morning to be dried by the sun because they say I now smell too. It is such a shame! He who hath an ear let him hear.

1 comment:

  1. I am really sorry for her. May God save her

    ReplyDelete