Wednesday 25 June 2014

WHAT IF YOU WERE THE BOSS?


Just sitting in the bus on my way to work, perspirating in the cold weather of rain and storm, I looked at my wrist watch and saw 10:35am.  I know this is not a good thing simply because I was 3 hours late and I don’t have any excuse for being late.


Yes the traffic is bad. Yes the rain disrupted plans. Yes Lagos is not nice. Yes bus fare skyrockets during periods like this. All these are not reasons enough for one to get 3 hours late to the office.

So as I sat in the bus dejected and helplessly looking with a forlorn gaze, I asked myself; what if I was the boss? Would I accept all these excuses that I am giving myself and pardon me for coming late. What if I was the boss? Would I pat me at the back and say ‘Oh, don’t worry, you can come anytime you want to work, this way work will grow faster and better in no time’.

What happens to the man-hours spent away from the desk and the monies wasted due to the fact that I was not on my seat as at when due? Who pays for that? Who should be responsible for the irresponsibility of coming late for whatsoever reason?

The truth is I woke up late. Got up sluggishly from the bed, got in the bath and left my apartment at exactly 8:09am; I was already 9 minutes late and I was still at home.


We need to beat ourselves when we do what is wrong. We need to challenge ourselves when we are slugging behind. We need to push ourselves to be better. We can’t blame everything around us for our mistakes and never want to see the fault as ours. What if I had woken up 6:00am, wouldn’t I have been in the office before 8:00am? This must not repeat itself because as I sit on my desk and await my boss’ wrath, I can’t complain whatever the consequences will be. If I were him, I probably will do worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment