Friday 16 May 2014

MY FATHER RAPED ME @ 12 - I STILL BLEED!


My name is Shalewa and I have been having nightmares since I was 12 years of age. I lost my mother when I was 10 and I and my dad had to move from one state to another because of his job. When he finally lost the job, we settled down in Ijebu and my father started drinking heavily.
I remembered that he will always send me to my grandmother who lived in Ijebu Ode at the time. One night when I came home to spend the weekend with him, he had drank so heavily and wasn't himself.

I tried to get him into bed because he staggered into the parlour as he banged on the door for me to open. When I finally did, he slumped on the sofa and was going to pass out. I didn't want to allow him sleep on the chair because he complains of back ache anytime he wakes up in the morning from the sofa. As I lifted him up from the chair, he woke up half way into the room and looked straight into my eyes. “shade”, he called out but that wasn't my name, that was my mother’s name.

When we got into the room, he tried to remove my dress but I wouldn't allow him. He beat me up and tore my cloth. Although I was young and really didn't understand what was going on, I knew what my father wanted to do was wrong but I didn't know how to stop him. My grandma always said that I should be careful with the bad boys in the area but she didn't tell me to be careful  with my father.

While my father was making love to me, I couldn't even scream. It was the worst kind of pain I have ever experienced and though I now have 2 kids from a glorious marriage, the pain of my father’s sex still lingers in my memory. I remember him saying, in his drunken state that “Shade, why are you still tight?” I didn't understand that statement at the time but later I realized that he was referring to me being a virgin.

When the morning came, he realized his mistakes and told me he was very sorry about what happened. He told me that it was the devil that caused it and that it will never happen again. For few weeks, my father cleaned up his acts, stopped smoking and drinking and everyone around were really astonished. He got a job in Lagos and he wanted to move without me. But on the week of his final relocation, my grandma that I would have stayed with died.

So I had to move with him to Lagos. After few years into the job, my father started drinking again. He had met a lady and they were courting but I feel that his eyes were never away from me. I was 16 years at the time and one night while my step mother was away he came into the room again and did it. This time he wasn’t remorseful about it. It was like it was his right to do it. He didn't beg me in the morning like he did before he just went on with life as if it was normal.

There was no one I could talk too because this became a regular occurrence anytime we were at home alone together. He had me till I got into the university when I was 19 years old. I would stay in school even through holiday periods and preferred not to come home. I got pregnant to my then boyfriend and we had to abort it. I was smeared and life was worse for it. I really suffered until I met my husband.

We met in my 400 level and it was like God specially sent him to me. He understood me, loved me and really cared about me. Although I have never told a soul about my experience with my father (because I can’t bring myself to say it to a single soul), his love to me have made me almost forgotten I went through such ordeal. He had an intuition that I didn't have a normal life while growing up but he tries his best to be a lot to me and our family. He is my world. Although I have bottled it in for a while now, the pain can never be erased from my mind.

The last time I saw my father was in my 400 level when I went to drop my invitation for my wedding. He didn't attend because he was mad at me that I took the decision without his consent. He didn't come to my wedding and I really don’t care. His wife came and I heard he chased her out of the house for a while because she disobeyed him. She must have wondered why my father hates me so much.

Now, my father is dying with pancreatic cancer and he wants me beside his sick bed. What do I do? Everyone keeps begging me to sheathe my sword and that whatever he has done to be should be overlooked since he constantly asked for me on his dying bed. I don’t hate him; I just don’t think I want to see him any longer.


I am confused. What do I do MAR?

No comments:

Post a Comment