Friday 4 April 2014

C'MON, LETS GET JIGGY WITH IT

The sights and sounds of Lagos every morning is a beauty to behold. I long for the preachers voice every 6:15am, she never misses. She harangues the neighbours to prepare for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and when her voice calls out at dawn, I know it is time to sluggishly remove my butt from my bed, my sweet bed.

I get in the shower and scrub off the murky sweat caused by lack of power and a redundant fan. I get off the shower and 6:50am I am done for the short trip to my office. I love Lagos. I am a Lagosian (not only by birth but by naturalism), my late father hails from Ikorodu and my mom from Lagos Island (yea right, you wanna start beefing okwei?) so I am a true son of the s(h)oil.
I love what I see almost every morning. The hustles, the pain, the joy and the smiles on people's face when they move around trying to satisfy one need or the other. One of that is the early joggers I see on the street. Men, women, boys and girls, all running, sweating, persevering and never stopping. I used to think they are all athletes but c'mon now, how can a 55 year old woman be an athlete? Yeah, I saw one today. She was really, ehm, on the age high side and she was doing her thingy.
Sporty vest on, music ear piece to complement, she ran the roads with careless abandon, shedding her fats and alongside worries as she ran. I am happy because instead of sitting back and complaining about her fat, she is doing something about it. Even if people are going to laugh at her, she is doing something about it. Yeah, she is quite on the big side but she doesn’t care, she is out there running it off, or at least trying to do.
I was impressed! As I am about the other thousands running every morning, some because they are athletes, others because they need to keep fit and the last group like the fat elderly lady, because she can't come and die, she too needs to survive and try and get slim again!

So do you have an issue in your life and you need solutions? Start by taking that first step. Talk to someone, ask for help and if all you need is to run, RUN! This is to all the obese people out there (especially ladies), c'mon, let's get jiggy with it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment